Friday 17 June 2011

Montauk.

Some of you who know me well are aware of the fact that I've been drooling over Montauk sofas for a while (about 3 years).  I  had it planned out for years - I was going to get the 'Julian' sofa in the 1015 Natural Linen fabric.  The people at the Montauk store knew me well, that "girl who's gonna buy a sofa, just once she gets a house".  Grant and I would go and visit our future sofa every time we were in that part of town.


We saved for this expense for a long time. I'm not a new furniture kind of person - 99% of the things we have are either a hand-me down (beautiful hand-me-downs, though) or a reclaimed/salvaged pieces from the Salvation Army. We also have a few road-side picks (props to Idalia). But this was one thing I was not willing to compromise on. I was going to have a Montauk.


So, even before the ink had dried on the real-estate papers, we headed to Montauk to order our sofa.  It was one of those surreal days - days I only dreamt about. We marched in, went to the counter and very matter-of-factly said, "I'll take 1 of those and a little friend to go along" (the little friend was a single 'Wingback' chair).


(Actually, it didn't happen exactly like that.... we played the whole "we're unsure if we're going to get anything..." customer,  hummed and hawed. Can't show your hand...even though they kinda knew me by name by then.)


Grant, being the salesman he is, got us a sweet deal on the 2, which is just a reminder that everything is negotiable.  A lot negotiable. Even if they say it isn't.


A few weeks later, the truck rolled up. Again, a surreal moment. However, they forgot to deliver the single wingback chair, so that was going to come later.  But my dream sofa was here.


It was well covered in plastic. Since Grant was making an ultimate mess in the house with the re-wiring (more on that in another blog), I thought it best to leave it covered until the mess was done.


But I couldn't wait that long. On moving day, we removed the plastic.  I needed to lay upon the lap of luxury that is Montauk..... (sigh)  ;)


Dream come true.

2 comments:

  1. It IS a dream come true...(sigh).

    Imagine eating a dinner of organic heirloom tomatoes in a homemade balsamic reduction with a side of fresh greens from the garden, a glass of Chablis, sitting on your couch and looking a blanket of stars.

    (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new design of your blog. You are a gal with uber cool taste!

    ReplyDelete